13.2.15

A Few of My Punk Rock Favorites

Music plays such a huge role in my life. Playing music is not only a huge hobby of mine, but also listening to and discovering new music. My dad has been such an influence in my life, making me a music snob just like him. He has introduced me to some of these albums, and I have found the rest for myself. Instead of picking my favorite songs, I chose to show you my favorite albums because to me there is nothing like closing your eyes and listening to an album from start to finish. All of these albums have played a huge roll in my life, and brought me much amazement and joy. I love each of these albums for different reasons, and I hope you check them out and possibly discover some new favorites!

Singles Going Steady- The Buzzcocks


Singles going steady was one of the albums that introduced me to a whole new world of music, punk rock. There is no doubt in my mind that this masterpiece is one of the greatest punk albums of all time, but I feel that The Buzzcocks in general are often overlooked, along with many others such as the Ex-Ray-Spex, Richard Hell, and Wire. This album is extremely catchy while still having the rough qualities of any great punk album, making it worthy of a classic. This album is old school pop-punk done right, and always puts me a better mood. 

Favorite Tracks: Ever Fallen in Love, Orgasm Addict, What Do I Get

Blank Generation- Richard Hell & The Voidoids


Richard Hell, being one of the firsts on the punk scene, has the formula down for a fast, loud punk song. Hell's unique voice, along with the unusual guitar chords, makes this album never fail to lack originality, or value. The lyrics have rebellion, and humor, and this album embodies everything that a punk album should. Richard Hell is a punk icon that inspired many others. But what Hell had that many of his followers did not, was intelligence behind his iconic look and sound. Hell embodies the NY CBGB scene, making your listening experience unlike any other. 

Favorite Tracks: Love Comes in Spurts, Blank Generation

Marquee Moon- Television



The Album Marquee Moon, Television's debut album, is one that I can listen to over and over again without its wow factor lowering one bit. My amazement by this album is so strong, making this one of my favorite albums, period. Tracks like Venus and See No Evil are so tight, yet have a raw feel and essence to them. They are harsh, while still knowing how to hold back. This album is revolutionary, and the punk scene would have been completely different without it. 

Favorite Tracks: Marquee Moon (obviously), See No Evil, Venus, Friction

Loaded- The Velvet Underground


The Velvet Underground is hands down my favorite band of all time. Everything about them strikes me as fascinating and intriguing. I love their sound, and how they can change up their genre through each album. While Loaded, my personal favorite, is more of a classic rock album, White Light White Heat is completely different, yet both are equally genius. I move from album to album, and band to band relatively quickly because of the technology that makes that so available, but the Velvets are one band that never leaves my mind. They revolutionized music, and while they aren't necessarily a punk band, they influenced punk rock immensely, and lived on the punk scene. 

 Favorite Tracks: Who Loves the Sun, Rock and Roll, New Age, Oh Sweet Nothing